Technical difficulties & a reading suggestion

Am having computer issues, dear folk, and thus my ability to update is significantly hampered as I am unable to edit the photos I snapped over the weekend for the Trove.    Am hoping beyond hope that my geek-wiz hubby can help the laptop arise from the smoke & ashes of whatever I did to it.   If the Habs are playing tonight, this miracle/ rescue attempt may not happen til tomorrow.

I'll keep my fingers crossed til then and I thank you for your patience.

If you have ten minutes to spare today, and feel like exulting in the art of an essayist in tip-top shape, please pick just about anything from Clive James' treasury of short essays and enjoy the sensation of your Grey Matter Giggling.   I suggest starting here.

Also!  Mr. James introduced this concept to ye olde brain theatre and I'm happy to have it dancing on the stage:  "There is an untranslatable Italian word for the mental bank account you acquire by memorizing poetry: it is a gazofilacio."

I task myself with this.  Commit Auden's "The Fall of Rome" to memory.


The Fall of Rome

by W. H. Auden

(for Cyril Connolly)

The piers are pummelled by the waves;
In a lonely field the rain
Lashes an abandoned train;
Outlaws fill the mountain caves.

Fantastic grow the evening gowns;
Agents of the Fisc pursue
Absconding tax-defaulters through
The sewers of provincial towns.

Private rites of magic send
The temple prostitutes to sleep;
All the literati keep
An imaginary friend.

Cerebrotonic Cato may
Extol the Ancient Disciplines,
But the muscle-bound Marines
Mutiny for food and pay.

Caesar's double-bed is warm
As an unimportant clerk
Writes I DO NOT LIKE MY WORK
On a pink official form.

Unendowed with wealth or pity,
Little birds with scarlet legs,
Sitting on their speckled eggs,
Eye each flu-infected city.

Altogether elsewhere, vast
Herds of reindeer move across
Miles and miles of golden moss,
Silently and very fast.
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was seven, my mother made me memorize Robert Frost's "Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening." At the time, I found the exercise exasperating and futile: I loved the poem, but what was the point of knowing it by heart? Now, I love being able to recall and recite it (in my head, mostly) and other poetry at will. And I still love the poem!

Anonymous said...

Oops! The above is by Pasley.
[waves]

Post a Comment